Diederik J.P. van Omme
Diederik graduated cum laude in criminal and civil law from the University of Groningen in 1999.
After working as a criminal law lecturer at this university for a year, he practiced as a lawyer, mainly specializing in tax and economic criminal law at Nautadutilh, and later at VMW Taxand and Simmons & Simmons. On May 1, 2015, he co-founded Hendrix Law with Kevin de Rooij.
Diederik has extensive experience in criminal law and a particular specialization in corporate criminal law (see practice areas). In addition, he provides advice and litigation in non-criminal matters within these practice areas. Diederik is registered in the practice areas register of the Netherlands Bar Association (NOvA) for the following practice areas:
- Criminal Law
- Financial and Economic Criminal Law
- Tax Criminal Law
- International Criminal Law
- Environmental Criminal Law
- Extradition Cases
- Criminal Cassation
Examples of past criminal cases:
- Defence of one of the main suspects accused of bribing the former director of housing corporation Rochdale;
- Defence of a listed company in the automotive industry under suspicion of subsidy fraud;
- Defence of the largest Dutch waste-to-energy plant in an environmental criminal case;
- Defence of the former CFO of a listed company in the technical service industry in a case involving alleged bribery in the Middle East;
- Defence of a manager of an international salvage company in a case involving alleged bribery in the Middle East;
- Defence of a stocktrading company suspected of insider trading;
- Defence of one of the major tobacco manufacturers in a complaint, including murder charges, against the tobacco industry;
- Defence of various foreign gambling operators in cases against the Gambling Authority and the Public Prosecution Service;
- Defence of various wealthy individuals accused of tax fraud;
- Defence of various suspects in money laundering cases, including the ransom money from the Heineken kidnapping and alleged drug profits of Charles Z.
Diederik regularly publishes and provides courses/lectures on criminal law topics (e.g., corruption, market abuse, and money laundering legislation). Furthermore, Diederik is a board member of the Combat Sports Authority, which oversees all full-contact combat sports (www.vechtsportautoriteit.nl), and a member of the Doping Authority’s Doping Sanctions Compliance Committee. In his free time, Diederik enjoys sports such as competitive skiing, cycling, kickboxing, and tennis, as well as playing the guitar.